Community Service in My Own Country

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Kelsy-Ann Adams, Moravian '14, was born in Jamaica and moved to the U.S. at age six. She plans to major in Sociology.

These past two days have been a great learning experience for me. I've never been in Jamaica without being with my family, and I've never been on a service trip. I don't want to say that it's been hard for me because it hasn't, just very interesting.

It's been good to hear Americans' perspectives on Jamaica, the perspectives of people who are actually experiencing the culture and not just speaking from biases and rumors they have heard. Listening to the other members of our group speak about their experiences and seeing them in awe of the beauty here has opened my mind to look at things in a different way, in both Jamaica and America.

It has also been very enlightening to me to do community service in my own country. Before this trip, I never even thought about orphanages in Jamaica, or someone needing help building a part of their kitchen. It sounds silly, but I never thought of the Jamaican culture in that way.

This entire trip has shown me experiences that have opened my eyes to new ideas and views, and has shown me just how sheltered I have been. I am appreciative that I don't have to go through what some of these people have to, but at the same time they inspire me to help even more.